Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My lesson in kite flying

Ryan was absolutely great when I told him that I wanted to do this study abroad program in London for three weeks. He didn't blink when I told him the cost of the program and airfare. Or when I told him I wanted to put the two classes toward a second master's degree.

My kite.
And then he saw that I needed to purchase a kite for a class outing at Primrose Hill, the site of the famous kite flying scene in Mary Poppins. Ever since, he has told anyone that has asked about our trip that I was going to London to be taught how to fly a kite.

So I am happy to report to Ryan that I believe I passed kite flying on Wednesday. My kite caught a breeze on the first attempt and it stayed up for a good 10 minutes. I even managed to take a couple of good photos at the same time. It was a lot of fun to take part in, even if we were viewed as crazy Americans (especially after the group sing-a-long of "Let's Go Fly a Kite!").




Besides serving as an ideal spot for kite flying, Primrose Hill offers a beautiful view of the London skyline and a perfect spot for lunch after spending the morning in nearby Regent's Park with its beautiful gardens. And now I'm blogging about the experience, so Ryan can see exactly what else I'm learning (which today, incidentally, was how to use the foilage setting on my camera).

No comments:

Post a Comment