Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I didn't know I was lost at the time on Portobello Road

At Brian Malasics' suggestion, we hit the Portobello Road street market on Saturday. It was probably one of our top three experiences in London. Some of the highlights:

Miles of stuff. I'm ashamed to say we didn't quite make it all the way to the end before turning back to get lunch. Antiques, food, clothes, crafts, and crap (of the tourist variety) can all be had.


The crowd on Portobello Road.

Souvenirs. Ryan and I actually had bought very little in London before Saturday. But we picked up a few things for ourselves at the market. I went for a couple of scarves, which are trendy in London and
useful in the cool weather. Ryan bought cigarette cards showing straight-line caricatures of famous Brits from 1926, including Winston Churchill, Charlie Chaplin and Lloyd George.


Ryan's cigarette cards. Churchill is located on the top row, second from the right.

Lunch. We opted for the chicken paella and ate it in alley off the main road. One of the best meals we've had in London.

The paella stand where we bought lunch. The recipe consisted of chicken, runner beans, butter beans, garlic, tomato, paprika, and rosemary, according to the sign.

The used clothes bin. Ryan and I each picked up jackets for £2 apiece, which I know will horrify my mother when she reads this. But, Mom, know this:
  • It's really cold here
  • The jacket is corduroy and very cute.
  • I washed it in hot water Sunday.
  • I didn't let it touch any if my other clothes before it was washed.
  • I inspected it thoroughly for bedbugs.

Elizabeth in the new corduroy jacket.
The stores along Portobello Road also are interesting to peruse, but the market is what makes the trip worthwhile. It's open 9-5 on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment