Friday, May 25, 2018

What wedding?

Apparently, there was a big wedding somewhere in the UK last weekend.

I met up with Elizabeth and her group in Inverness Friday night and Saturday. That morning I parked at the downtown mall to walk around the city centre. I admit, I had forgotten all about the Royal Wedding until I walked through the mall and came upon rows of chairs facing a projection of the wedding’s live broadcast.

The ceremony wasn't due to start until noon. This was before 10 a.m.


She wanted to get a seat early at Inverness's Eastgate shopping mall to watch the wedding guests' arrival. The broadcast reminded me of the coverage of the lead-up to the Kentucky Derby with all the scrutiny of who's there and what they're wearing.  

The Royal Family remains quite a point of fixation, even in Scotland, as proved by this 128-page special edition of the Scottish Sunday Express.


Even days later, people are still talking about it. The woman who ran the guest house where I stayed in Dundee couldn't get over the cost of Meghan Markle's dress (estimated in the six-figures, according to fashion experts.) And the proprietor of the launderette in town asked me if I had seen the wedding while I was here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment