Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sign(s) of the day: Warnings of the treacherous backroads

When I bought my Scottish road atlas in a Glasgow bookstore last Wednesday, the clerk asked me if I was heading out of the city for a trip to the Highlands.

"I am," I said. "I'm headed to the Isle of Skye."

"Yeah, there's some beautiful scenery there," he said. "Just beware of the potholes."

"Sure."

"No, I mean it. BEWARE of the potholes." He said it the way characters in Scooby Doo talk about the local haunted castle where all the shenanigans go down.

Clio lookin' sharp at a scenic overlook along the A82.
No problem, I thought. I'll just try and avoid them. That is not possible for two reasons:

1. There's just too many of them.
2. There's no where else to go regardless of whether there's oncoming traffic or not.

And it's not like I'm driving a big car. It's a brand new Renault Clio that had 10 miles on it when I took it out of the car lot. (Thanks Hertz!)

Mr. Bookstore Clerk was absolutely right. Some stretches of the backroads on the Isle of Skye are more potholes than road. I think I saw a car ahead of me disappear into one never to re-emerge.

Occasionally, there are signs: "Road liable to subsidence."

When I first saw that sign, there was a sheep near it. And I just got a quick glance at the words-- you know, on account of trying to stay on the narrow road. So I thought, at first, it said that the road was "liable to sustenance" (for the sheep).

Then after driving through the larger-than-usual potholes, I realized what it must have said.

The other complication is that most of the backroads are barely wide enough for one car, but they have little pull-outs every so often for one car to pull over to let oncoming traffic pass or, in this case, to pass a sheep:

Two cars will not fit on most stretches of Skye's roads. 
 It's quite a dance between cars when navigating the narrow bits between passing places.

To his credit, Mr. Bookstore Clerk was right on all counts, not just about the potholes, because the views were truly spectacular.


The first of many times I pulled over to take snapshots on my drives across the Highlands. And I convinced a German couple to take my picture.


P.S. – I just turned in the rental car and the final tally was 902 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment