Saturday, May 19, 2018

Ryan’s take: My horse was just hungry

Hrodlur, right, after surviving my maiden ride.
“It’s just like riding a bike,” one of the guides said as we mounted our horses.

It’s not.

In fairness, I think she was referring to the positioning of our feet in the stirrups – similar to where they should be on a bike pedal. That’s where I would say the similarities end.  

Hrödlur, my horse, tested me early on, as Elizabeth reported. We had to stop because someone (Elizabeth) was falling too far behind. And when we stopped to wait for that person (Elizabeth) and her horse to catch up, Hrödlur decided that was his chance to see how much he could get away with. Or else decided to wander off for a snack. Regardless of the reason, he turned right … and kept going.

I tried to tell him not to, but I’m pretty sure he was annoyed that I couldn’t pronounce his name.

Meanwhile, I’m looking for the handle bars or steering wheel or brakes. I’m pulling the reins and trying to remember whether my legs should be out to slow him down (they should) or whether I should squeeze him with my legs (I should not). I’m sure I was squeezing.

Finally, he relented and returned to the line after a combination of the guide yelling, no immediate grass for Hrödlur to eat where he took us and my bargaining with Hrödlur as I flailed around with my arms with the reins and my legs.
Eating ... again. 

After that, I’m proud to say we got a long swimmingly. Hrödlur did all the work, and I tried my best to stay on the saddle when we went faster.

But every time we stopped, Hrödlur jerked his head down and started eating anything he could.

Even if we stopped for just a second (usually to let Elizabeth catch up), Hrödlur went straight for the ground to munch.

Our guide said Icelandic horses eat at every chance they get because they have learned over generations to conserve energy both by eating a lot and limiting excess movements. Icelandic horses are smaller than American or European horses – but are larger than ponies. Note: Several souvenir shops sold t-shirts and coasters with cartoon Icelandic horses with annoyed expressions saying: I’m not a pony.

They’re also fiercely protected. No horses can be brought onto the island and once an Icelandic horse leaves the island, such as for a competition, the horse can never come back so as not to introduce any diseases. Even saddles used on horses outside Iceland aren’t allowed.


But these are a hardy bunch of horses who handle cold weather and steep hills all in stride.
The (semi)successful riders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment