Friday, June 15, 2018

Ubiquitous smartphones

Ryan and I have taken plenty of smartphone selfies over the years, and this trip is no exception. But it seems smartphones have supplanted our brains when it comes to travel. Or at least that's what I've been ruminating about during our Paris experience.

Ryan snapped this shot in the Metro where most people were absorbed by their devices. (This is obviously not limited to Paris, of course.)
On Friday, we got caught in a late afternoon rainstorm at Roland Garros. We crowded under the shelters, with Ryan plotting our journey home using the guidebook and me doing a crossword puzzle while slyly (I hope) people watching. The couple one table over ignored each other for almost the entire 30 minutes, as both were glued to their phones.

The next night, we went to the top of the Arc d'Triumph to shoot the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Ryan was utilizing the camera, and I was people watching and eavesdropping. As the 10:05 light show commenced, I was suddenly surrounded by upthrust cameras. And I wondered, do they actually appreciate what they're seeing?




This feeling culminated in the Musee d'Orsay on Sunday morning. I was disheartened to see this bag in the shop.

Nothing like a tote bag to celebrate the decline of civilization. 

It seems, to me, to be the wrong message. I know the science indicates that capturing the moment doesn't necessarily detract from living it, but sometimes I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment