Friday, August 5, 2011

Long day's journey home

Well, it took 20 hours of travel, but I'm finally back home in Louisville. It involved:
  • An epic struggle down the Tube escalators/staircases with my severely overweight suitcase. (Made possible by the extreme kindness of a British man who carried it down the final two for me. Although he did share his opinion that I had over packed for my month-long stay.)
  • An hour train ride during rush hour. (Fortunately no need to switch trains.)
  • A seven-hour flight to Montreal. (Thanks for the free passport stamp for my two-hour layover.)
  • A two-hour flight to Washington-Dulles. (On a plane so tiny that another passenger and I had to move to the back of the plane to "distribute" the weight safely. Needless to say, I didn't sleep on that flight).
  • A two-hour flight to Louisville. (Nap time, since it was closing in on 10 p.m. in the U.K., and I had been awake since 4 a.m.).
  • A 10-minute car ride with Ryan back to the house, where I was greeted by an excited Sydney dog.
I now have three currencies in my wallet (British pounds, Canadian dollars and U.S. dollars) and am about to go put my road skills to the test after a month without driving. Scary.

Ryan and I will have a wrap-up post about what we learned later this weekend. In the meantime, thanks everyone for reading about our adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment